Abalone Shell jewellery is much coveted because of its sheer beauty.
Abalone are molluscs with flattened, spiral-shaped shells, that are found clinging to rocks beneath the ocean’s surface. The innermost layer of abalone shell is composed of nacre, or mother-of-pearl, which is highly iridescent, making it ideal for decorative purposes.
Exceptionally strong, nacre is made of microscopic tiles of calcium carbonate, stacked like bricks with organic polymers between the layers. As the layers shift, the polymer stretches. The iridescent appearance and the varying colours are produced when light bounces between the layers of calcium carbonate.
BUYING VINTAGE JEWELLERY ONLINE
This comprehensive guide includes:
* The 3 most important rules to ensure you don’t waste money
* Visual clues about the age of vintage jewellery items
* “Inside Secrets” about tie clasps, cufflinks and collar bars
* Search tips to find what you’re looking for
* How to be the successful buyer