The back of the clasp is stamped PAT.2853761.
This patent was granted in 1958 to Philip Kettell and Andrew Evans, both of E.A.Adams & Son Inc, in Rhode Island, US.
EA Adams used to supply jewellery parts to many of the major jewellery houses of America, but went out of business in the early 1980s.
BUYING VINTAGE JEWELLERY ONLINE
This comprehensive guide includes:
* The 3 most important rules to ensure you don’t waste money
* Visual clues about the age of vintage jewellery items
* “Inside Secrets” about tie clasps, cufflinks and collar bars
* Search tips to find what you’re looking for
* How to be the successful buyer